Old photographs have several precious memories attached to them. However, keeping them in an album for years can cause damage to them. Due to humidity, they stick to each other or to the plastic cover, eventually leading to tearing off. Fading of color is also a very common problem. Fortunately, contemporary digital technology has made it possible to scan, restore and preserve your old pictures, photos and images. Here is how you can restore your old, non-digital photos.
Obtain high quality scanner to scan your photograph
To restore your old memory the first step would be to scan the photograph with high quality resolution scanner. Before scanning do not forget to clean the dust of pictures as well as the surface of the scanner.
To determine the scanning resolution you have to decide the purpose of the printed photo. To store in CDs or DVDs opt for 600 dpi or else 300 dpi resolutions will be sufficient for you.
Saving the file
After scanning the next step will be saving your file. Always try to save in tiff format rather in preserving in jpeg format. Despite applying editing on this part of the photograph create another copy of it to avoid accidental overwriting.
Selecting a suitable photo editing software
Restoring your old memories in digital format will become more effortless with perfect selection of photo editing software. Balancing with your budget you can opt for free photo editors, beginner photo editor or advanced photo editing software.
- Finally the stage appears to show your creativity while restoring your old memories. Utilizing the crop tool of your editing software you can swipe out the extra space on your picture or can concentrate on the particular person omitting the background.
- Cloning or copying tool will assist you to fix flaws like creases, tears or spots on your photograph. Always prefer to zoom as much as possible for perfection of your work.
- The dust or scratches or speckles can be wiped out through Set Radius to Threshold setting, slowly increasing from its beginning point.
- With help of red-eye removal tool you can change the red eye effect or else can use pencil or paintbrush option as well.
- Color of your photograph should be perfect while restoring it. You have to set the color and the contrast as per your photograph demands. Sometimes you will found that your photo has become faded for which you need to add extra color. For darken photos you will need to lighten up with increasing brightness.
- Finally this is the point to showcase your creativity by adding easy border effects which is called vignettes. To be creative you can add variety of vignettes like rectangles or hearts or stars etc. to offer a portrait look.